WHAT IT IS

A number of pundits have observed (here and here) that it took less time for the US to fight and win World War II than it has to get the “simple” Obamacare website operational.   But fear not!   Barack Obama, our Master of IT IS (Information Technology and Information Systems) has said “This will be fixed,” thereby proving that he knows absolutely nothing about either.  He doesn’t know the first rule about IT project scheduling, which is that “the first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, and the other 10% of the project takes the other 90% of the time.”   Apparently nobody told him that if you have 3-1/2 years to complete the project and don’t start testing until six weeks prior to go-live, you’re in deep kaka with the schedule.  And, like everything else liberals do, he ignored the fundamental rule of all projects, which is that you can specify the time, the cost, or the functionality, so long as you pick only TWO.  Obamacare, of course, specifies all three in self-contradictory detail, and liberals then fume because the fundamental laws of the universe do not obey their whimsical wishes.  

 

What is worse, in my opinion, is that Mr. Obama seems to fervently believe that his pontifications on the subject somehow alter reality.  Saying “it will get fixed” does not cause it to be fixed if it is not possible to fix it (or even if it IS).  Obamacare simply cannot work as promised—it is impossible—and everybody but Obama ought to be realizing that.  Whether it will work as written (also not possible and already proven so) or as intended (some say it was intended to drive private insurance out of existence) is another matter.  In any event, Mr. Obama’s commandment that the seas cease their rise or that a website gets “fixed” is borderline megalomaniacal madness.